Saturday, November 1, 2025

Bible Word Meanings




Good evening, Friends. Have you ever wondered what a Bible word written in the English language means in Hebrew? What about Greek? As I was reading the Bible last evening, the thought came to me that it would be interesting that along with my regular post every day, I would pick a word to look up in both the Hebrew and Greek to see what they actually mean in those languages and see how they differ from our own. 

So today I will just be doing that and not try to do a regular post as I said today in my earlier post that it would be a very busy day and I may not get to one. 

Instead, I will give this a try and just see how it goes. And then tomorrow plan to go back to a regular post and do a word as well. 

So, for today's word, I am going to start with a name That name being God. What does the name God mean in Hebrew and Greek?

אלהים Hebrew:

Elohim is a Hebrew word that denotes “God” or “god.” It is one of the most common names for God in the Old Testament, starting in the very first verse: “In the beginning [Elohim] created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1). The name Elohim occurs over 2,500 times in the Tanakh. (source: gotquestions.org)

Greek:

the supreme Divinity, God, godly.

Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with ho) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very -- X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward).

see GREEK ho (source: biblehub.com Strong's Exhaustive Concordance)

So, there you go, Friends. I think this will be a interesting study for us and hope you do too. If you want more info about any of the above information, please go to those websites.

I hope you had a day of blessing. Take care and peace be unto you.











No comments:

Post a Comment

If God is in control...(part two)

 ...is He responsible for bad weather on the earth? Does God Send Earthquakes and Hurricanes? Why Does Nature Seem to Be More and More Destr...