Friday, October 18, 2024

A Breakdown of John 17: 6_12

 



I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gave me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gave them me; and they have kept thy word.

Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.

For I have given unto them the words which thou gave me; and they have received them and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Jesus continues His High Priestly Prayer by praying for His disciples. The eleven who remained with Him had accepted Jesus’ words, knew that He is God, and believed that the Father sent Him (John 17:8). Jesus talks about the Father giving the disciples to Him and the disciples belonging to the Father; Jesus and the Father have everything in common (John 17:69–10). Jesus mentions that glory has come to Him through the disciples (John 17:10). Jesus prays that the Father would protect the disciples since He will no longer be present in the world. He prays not that they will be removed from the world but specifically that they would be protected from the evil one (John 17:15) by the power of Jesus’ name (John 17:11). Jesus says that the world hates the disciples because they are not of the world, just as Jesus is not of the world (John 17:1416). But Jesus has given His followers the Word and sent them into the world, just as the Father sent Jesus (John 17:18). Jesus prays that His disciples would be sanctified by the truth, which is God’s Word (John 17:17) and that they would be unified (John 17:11). (credit; gotquestions.org)

💞💞💕

In this part of the passage, Jesus prays for some of his closest friends. Men who have been with him from practically day one of his earthly ministry. 

Jesus knew the evil that was to come upon them. And it did as in time, most would be martyred for their faith in Him.

There will come a time when  we too may have to give our life for the same cause. Many Christians even today have been or are being killed for the cause of Jesus Christ. 

And so we need to remember to pray for each other. Pray for our friends. That God will protect them.

Knowing though that whatever comes,

as long as we stay true to the cause of Jesus Christ,

we will be saved. 

Thanks for stopping by, Friends. 

Have a blessed day!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 119:165

Psalm 119:165 Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.     Peace. It's what we desire today, right? ...