Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Lord is My Shepard




Bible verse Psalm 23 "The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me  beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul. NancyMcGuirk.com


Why do you think Jesus identifies as being our Good Shepard instead of just being a king, He could have identified himself as a King and he did. But why doesn't he just stick with that title:
Let's look at some facts about sheep and their shepherds:


  1. Sheep are vulnerable to wolves and other prey. They needed their shepherd's protection.
  2. A shepherd leads his flock to food. So he makes sure they are fed.
  3. In Israel, the Shepard had to be the one to help his sheep when they were sick. And sometimes he had to carry them.
  4. The shepherd loves his flock and though he does not have to, he calls them by name.
  5. Sometimes with their noses to the ground, sheep would follow the greenest patches of grass until they got lost. And so the shepherd would go off to find and bring them back to the flock.
While these are not the only attributes about shepherds and their sheep, the correlation between Jesus being the Good Shepards is what is important. Jesus protects, feeds, heals, loves and saves us as human beings. He could have simply been King, but instead, identifies with being our Shepard because we are like sheep that needs a Savior to do for us as sheep needs from their shepherds.
Back many years ago when I was a teenager, my grandmother had fallen one day and hit her head. It was an "iffy" time for our family but especially my father. She was in the hospital and had developed water on the brain. The doctors were able to drain the water and she was able to recover and go on to lead a normal life. But while in the hospital, I went with my dad to see her. Her head was all bandaged up and she was doing her best to be her usual jolly self. But the thing that sticks out in my mind, even today was the fact that she had told us that she had once learned the 23rd Psalm and that was what gave her the comfort she had while going through this scary ordeal. She said she repeated it over and over. At some point in my life, I took her words to heart and I too learned that Psalm in case I ever went through anything like she had been through and needed something to comfort me. And it has many times over. I am so thankful, that Jesus is my King, but that also he is also my Good Shepard. For he gives me all I need. 



Cartoon of the day:



                                                           I can't help thinking that this would be a better world if everyone would listen to God.





Thanks for coming by friends. Remember to be blessed today, and bless others. I hope you will come back tomorrow.

                                                                             

Prayers go up Blessings come down wall decal  -  positive inspirational positivity inspiration quote

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Word of God Stands on its Own Merit: Romans 6 (part 2)

Read chapter 6 again for today: Paul made it clear that we as believers are not slaves to our sin. Granted, sometimes we struggle against it...