Saturday, April 28, 2018

Fruit of the Spirit-JOY (Part 3)

Image result for the joy of the lord is my strength gardens

The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.  Psalm 28:7


How do we define joy? How do you define it in your own life? We can say it is being happy. We can say it means we are delighted or blissful? There are many other words we could use for the word joy, but are they what the bible defines it as?

We may think of joy as cheating on our taxes. Or sleeping with someone else's' spouse. But is that joy? No, that is sin. The joy one gets from sin lasts only for a season. It is temporary and it is a symptom for serious problems within the person that is sinning.

We may think of joy as perhaps getting a good return on our taxes. Or finding a mate that really loves God. Is that joy? Surely, those kinds of things are good and they do make us happy. To an extent. But, are they the kind of joy that the bible speaks of?

The real joy is in knowing that God has revealed to us his perfect plan for us. The hope of eternal life. The expectations of his coming kingdom. The knowledge that deep down inside us that we will one day go to be with him in paradise.

It is (or should be) displayed for people to see that God within us can penetrate the darkness that surrounds them and therefore they want what we already have.

If we let it come forth in us. What was that? If we are grouchy as Christians and do not allow the joy of the Lord to come through, why would anyone want to have what we have? There is enough of that without being a Christian.

However, if no matter what we go through, we can let it come through us, people will see that and they will want to find out how we can go through the things we are and still be joyful.

Yes, even in times when sadness hits us. Through an illness, either of a loved one or maybe ourselves. A death or some other crisis. We can still emulate the real fruit of joy in our lives because it comes through the Holy Spirit.

I know of a man in church a few years ago, that got cancer. The pastor asked him how he wanted the church to pray for him. Did he want them to pray for healing or to pray God's will? He said, "I have had a good life. I am ready to go to be with God if that is his will for me. If he wants to heal me, I am happy to be here until he does take me home." What a testimony. This man was joyful either way. He was leaving the decision up to God.

Not long after that, God did take him home.

That is what true happiness, true joy is. Being joyful no matter what we are going through in our earthly circumstances and letting it shine through us. That is what the joy of the bible means.

Nehemiah 8:10 says: The joy of the Lord is my strength. Even in sorrow, God gives us strength through our joy. Are you joyful today of what God has done in your life? If not, maybe you haven't quite connected to the Holy Spirit. Get into his word. Ask him to give you his joy. If you are honestly seeking it, he will give it to you.



Thanks so much for coming today folks. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope you will join me again tomorrow for the next Fruit of the Spirit-Peace. God bless!


Saturday Blessings!




1 comment:

2 chronicles 7;14

f my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I ...