Thursday, April 9, 2020

Luke's Account of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus (part one)

Tyros Shekel Palestine 100 BC tin replica coin | Antiquanova Judas' 30 Pieces of Silver - Matthew 26:14-15: 'Then one of the 12 called Judas Iscariot went unto the chief priests and said unto them 'What will ye give me and I will deliver him unto you?' And they covenanted with him for 30 pieces of silver....'



Through the eyes of Luke 22



Luke's account of the death and Resurrection of Jesus, is very similar to the other two men. However, it is also a bit different.

In Luke 22, he tells of how the chief priests and teachers of the law wanted to get rid of Jesus because they were afraid of the people. He said that Satan had entered into Judas Iscariot and he went to the chief priests and officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how to do this. They were delighted at what he had to offer them and in return they paid him money to carry it out. And so began the watch for Jesus, so that he could do this.

At the Last Supper, Jesus said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again, until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God." After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you. For I will tell you not drink from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes." And he took the bread and broke it and  gave it to them saying, "This is my body given for you, do this in remembrance of me."

After supper, Jesus goes on to explain that this "this cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. But the hand of him that is going to betray me is with mine on the table. The Son of man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man that betrays him!"

The disciples began to question, who that man was going to be. They began to argue who among them would be considered to be the greatest. Jesus told them that the kings of the gentiles and other authorities think they are the greatest. But the disciples were not to be like that. He asked them the question, "Who is greater, the one that sits at the table or the one that serves? It is not the one that sits at the table, but the one that serves. But I am among you as one that serves. You have stood with me by me in my trails. And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes" of Israel."

Jesus went to say, "Simon, Simon Satan has asked to shift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you Simon that your faith not fail and when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Peter then told Jesus that he was ready to go with him to prison and to his death. But Jesus answered saying, "I tell you Peter, before the rooster crows today you will deny me three times."

Jesus asked them if when he sent them out with nothing, did they lack anything. And they said, "nothing." Then he told them if they had a purse and a bag, to take it. And if they didn't have a sword or a cloak, to buy one. He said, "It is written; 'And he was numbered with the transgressors' and I tell you this must be fulfilled in me, Yes, what is written is reaching its fulfillment"

The disciples said, "See Lord, here are two swords."

"That is enough!" he replied.


Thanks for coming by today Friends. The end of Jesus's life over 2000 years ago ended that Good Friday. But life anew for all of us started the day he rose from the stone walls couldn't hold him! Praise God! If you haven't experienced that new life, I encourage you to do right now, You don't have to clean yourself up to have the forgiveness of God. None of us can do that. Just pray the following prayer and you can have the greatest gift ever told! And in the mean time, have a blessed day!  (Please meet here again tomorrow for the next part of Luke's account.)


Salvation Prayer Learn how to give your life to Jesus and receive salvation. How to go to heaven





























No comments:

Post a Comment

2 chronicles 7;14

f my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I ...