Monday, January 21, 2019

A Big Fish Tale or A Sign of Jonah (part two)

We all have Jonah experiences but we all don't remember to pray while we're in the belly of the fish.Jonah's story did not stop after he was thrown into the sea by the crew of the ship that he was taking to Tarshish. Sometime after landing wherever he did underwater, a large fish came along and gobbled him up. What an ordeal that must have been for Jonah. And he remained there, three days before he cried out to God with the following prayer.

"In my distress, I called to the Lord. and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead,  I called for help and you listened to my cry. You hurled me into the depths, into the very heart of the seas. and the currents swirled around me. All your waves and breakers swept over me. I said, 'I have been banished from your site, yet again I will look toward your holy temple.' The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me, seaweed wrapped around my head. To the roots of the mountains, I sank down, the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you Lord my God, brought my life up from the pit. When my life was ebbing away I remembered you Lord, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple. Those that cling to worthless idols, turn away from God's love from them. But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good, I will say 'Salvation comes from the Lord.'"
The classic story of Jonah and the whale Kids Bible Scripture: This Bible adventure begins with God calling the prophet Jonah to the wicked city of Nineveh. Jonah refuses, and runs from God. After boarding a ship bound for Tarshish, Jonah gets thrown overboard and swallowed up by a giant fish (some think it was a whale)! This Jonah and the whale lesson is an incredible Sunday school resource. Biblical and inspiring, your kids will love it!
And with that, the fish vomited Jonah out onto dry land. Jonah 2:1-10

What a ghastly sight Jonah must have been. Living in the fish's belly for 3 days and then suddenly getting vomited out of it.

God had then reminded Jonah of his mission. And this time, Jonah knew better than to run from God again. If God would have a fish swallow him, and if he had had to be in the fish's belly for those days-I can imagine what he must have thought. The next time he might not be so lucky.

Free Bible images: When Jonah runs away rather than go to Nineveh he is swallowed by a great fish. (Jonah 1 - 3)So off he went to Ninevah. But it was a large city and it took three days to go through it. Jonah called out to the people, "Only 40 days and Ninevah will be overthrown." The Ninevites believed him and a fast was proclaimed everyone, no matter who they were put on sackcloth. (Putting on sackcloth meant that people had repentant hearts and were turning away from their sin.)

The king had said to even cover their animals in sackcloth and they were to call on God in urgent prayer that he would have compassion on them and not bring on the destruction that he had promised. And because they had listened to and heeded God's warning that Jonah had been preaching about, God did not do as he had threatened.

Ok, so what does all this really have to do with 'The sign of Jonah" that Jesus made mention of in the New Testament?  Come back tomorrow if you want to find out.


January 21, 2019 Promise: I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, so shall I be saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:3


Thanks for spending time here this morning Friends. Have a blessed new week. 


New year Inspirational quotes jesus 2019 for friends, family, mom, dad, son, daughter, wife, husband, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, lover, boyfriend and girlfriend.













No comments:

Post a Comment

The Word of God Stands on its Own Merit: Romans 6 (part 2)

Read chapter 6 again for today: Paul made it clear that we as believers are not slaves to our sin. Granted, sometimes we struggle against it...