Sunday, August 5, 2018

Grand Children: Our Gifts from God

Grandkids
Grandchildren are the crown of the elderly, and the pride of sons is their father. Proverbs 17:6

Grandchildren are all the above things and more. I have 9 of them. All but 3 live out of state. And I have 2 that came into our family recently as preteens. 

I never really knew how my grandparenting would be. My own mother had issues that prevented her from being a good grandmother. I wondered how I would be? Did I inherit her genes?

I didn't have a really good chance to know until my oldest grandson living in the same state was born. I had just retired the same month and we started babysitting him a few months later when his mom went back to work. 

I found him to be a real joy. And I never had to wonder how I would be again. Along came his brother a couple of years later and then another brother. With each one, I have loved them more and more.

I got to spend some time with them one day this week. Not long but it had been a while since I had gotten to see them. And I thanked God afterward that while it was not as long as I would have wanted, it was enough. And as a friend told me in an email, the amount of time I spent with them was probably about the amount that was good for them since kids tend to get distracted. And she was right. I understand that it was the quality and not the quantity of time that was most important. 

I so thank God for my grandchildren. They have become so important to me. And a time is coming when I will get to be closer to some of my other ones as well. God has gifted me with these children and I want to be the best that I can be for them.

Parents that have to work can do the best they can, but let's face it. They do have things in their lives that interfere sometimes with raising their kids. Financial problems crop up. Problems at work. Martial problems. Many things can cause parents to not be able to always give the children everything they need as hard as they try.

By the time that they become grandparents, some have the time and are financially able to do for the children like they could not do with their own. They can fill in the gap so to speak.

When our grandsons came to stay a night or two, we did a lot of things with them. We took them places, as once to a park with a huge carousel and we actually rode it with them. We took them to regular parks and let them play on the equipment. And once we flew kites with them. At home, my husband taught them things in the kitchen. One year we made cakes shaped like Christmas trees for them to take home. And homemade bread. He helped them make special pancakes for breakfast once. We played games and read to them. We also took the oldest grandson to Bible School at our local church for one year. Lately, I have been making copies of the special pictures I have taken of them and giving them to them to keep as a reminder of the good times because I know a time will come when they will grow up and maybe move on with their lives, or we will pass on. And at least they will have good memories. 

Unfortunately, my mother could never do those kinds of things with her grandchildren, although my father did to some degree. I am sorry she missed out on the joy of being able to teach them the things that were important to her and yet fun for them. But I am thankful that God gave me the opportunity to see and feel what it is like to be a part of their lives. I wish we could have been with the others and perhaps soon we will get to be closer to them.

Grandchildren are gifts to us from God. And we as grandparents are gifts to them from God. If you have your own grandchildren, do love and care for them. And be sure to pray for them. Even with the best of parents they may have, they still need you in their lives as well. 


The Family Circus strip for May 9, 2018

Thanks for your visit today folks. If you have grandchildren, give them a big hug if you can. If you don't have any, give one to a child that needs one, if at all possible. Have a blessed Lord's Day!


Have a blessed Sunday...







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Word of God Stands on its Own Merit: Day 7: 1 John 4

 1 John 4 4  Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into t...