Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Jesus: The Sweet Fragrance





Lily in the Valley-Cross


The song came to me this evening that we used to sing at church. Parts of it went: I have a friend in Jesus, he's' everything to me, he's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul. The lily of the valley, the bright and morning star, he's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul.

I knew that wasn't just some little ditty that we used to sing. It does come from scripture where Jesus called himself the Lily of the Valley.

But I wondered this evening why he called himself that and did some research. Here I what I learned. Speaking of lilies as we know them, they are:

  1. A sweet and fragrant flower, having a strong scent.
  2. A very fruitful root, able to bring forth 50 bulbs.
  3. Have medicinal purposes
  4. Is the tallest flower, but its head hangs down.  Are white which exceeds every other white flower, and within it are seven gold seeds.

Ok, so we get it that they are beautiful and fragrant and have these other characteristics. But why did Jesus identify himself with them


  • His ministry was sweet because he gave himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savor. Ephesians 5:2
  • Because of his death and resurrection, Christ brought forth much fruit and glorified the Father. John 12:24, 15:8
  • He is the great physician. Luke 5:12
  • He was humble, he took on the form of a servant. He was obedient to death, even death on the cross. Philippians 2:6-8
  • .He is the picture of purity, Revelation 3:4  and the bride of the Lamb will be clothed ins white. Revelation 19:8

Certainly, we can say that the Christ is a picture of the Lily. And these are just a few of his characteristics that he identifies with such a beautiful flower. There are of course, many more. But as that little song goes through my mind, it offers a peace and a wonderment that only Jesus can give. 

There is more to the song, and I will bring more to you about it in tomorrows devotion. I hope you will come back. 






<3 <3 2 Timothy 1:12


Have a blessed day, Friends!






Absolutely!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Word of God Stands on its Own Merit: Day 7: 1 John 4

 1 John 4 4  Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into t...